Modern Slavery/Human Trafficking
These are some of the things that are making life intolerable for the majority of the inhabitants of our planet. It has been this way for hundreds of years. These issues combined with the failure of the Trump Administration to address the Covid-19 pandemic in a competent way has woken up many Americans but not nearly enough.
Please see the list below for different options on how to do your part.
- If you see a woman or girl (cis or transgender) experiencing ANY TYPE of violence call 911 immediately.
- Donate to a battered women’s shelter using this link. https://www.domesticshelters.org/fundraisers/wish-lists
- If you are low on funds educate yourself on femicide and spread the knowledge on social media and/or verbally to your loved one and acquaintances. Start with these two articles about the alarming number of femicides in Turkey and Mexico.
4. Sign the petitions linked below. They are asking that the US Army be held accountable for Vanessa Guillen’s murder, Sandra Bland‘s case to be reopened and that Breonna Taylor‘s killers be brought to justice.
Also if you are thinking about posting or have already posted a black and white “challenge accepted” or “empowerment selfie” on social media please take a look at the article about femicide in Turkey. People have been participating in this challenge without bringing attention to its origin and it has caused major damage to a critical Turkish women’s rights campaign sparked by the climbing rates of femicides in Turkey and the murder of a young lady named Pinar Gültekin at the hands of her ex-boyfriend. Please make sure you include the origins of the challenge so that the world is made aware of the inhumane situation Turkish women are in.
5. For the men: Stop objectifying women and read this this article on how to stop being a misogynist.
6. For the ladies: Support unproblematic female owned businesses by purchasing their products and/or spreading the word about their existence. Also, check out this article on internalized misogyny. Do you have it? Is it contagious? Can it be cured? Only one way to find out.
7. Donate to a group that bails out Black Lives Matter protesters and provides them with resources for legal representation like the Portland Protest Bail Fund.
8. You can also donate to any of the organizations featured on the Act Blue website. They give you the opportunity to split your donation between 70 different community bail funds, mutual aid funds and racial justice organizers.
9. If you are unable to donate share the two links above and start educating yourself more on institutionalized racism. My good friend Corvette Moore who has been fighting for racial justice and economic equity for most of her life suggested these in an Anti-Racism Book Club and Discussion Group on Facebook.
Me and White Supremacy by Layla Saad
The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
Racism, Anti Racism and You by Ibram X Kendi and Jason Reynolds
10. Join a Black Lives Matter protest. If you have tested positive for Covid-19 or have come in contact with someone that has Covid-19 STAY HOME. Spread the word online about protests instead and/or call your local lawmakers and demand they DEFUND THE POLICE.
Find Black Lives Matter protests here–> https://rallylist.com/?s=black+lives+matter&submit=Search
11. Read this article that offers 6 concrete ways on how you can take action on climate change. Start small so you are not overwhelmed and pick the one that is easiest for you and go from there.
12. Many of us have heard of a carbon footprint but did you know that humans also leave a DIGITAL carbon footprint? Although it is very difficult at the moment to quantify our energy consumption from digital devices due to lack of data, our online lives are having a significant effect on climate change according to studies conducted by The Borderstep Institute. The biggest culprits of this are video streaming and using your cellphone as your primary source of the internet. Try to reduce your use of both as much as possible and if you are in Europe research Fairphone, a sustainable smart phone company that cares for people AND the environment.
13. If you would like to buy a dog or a cat DO NOT purchase from a breeder. Go to a local shelter instead.
14. Foster or adopt a senior dog/cat! They are often dumped at kill shelters when owners don’t want to care for them as they age and develop aging related maladies that can be time consuming and expensive. Our pets love us unconditionally and show us unwavering loyalty they deserve the same from us.
15. Do not wear leather or fur unless it is second-hand.
16. Support vegan businesses. You do not have to be fully vegan to eat a vegan meal once a day or once a week. Being vegan is very hard for many people as it takes time to transition in a healthy way. Some people may have eating disorders that are triggered by any slight change in diet. If you find it to difficult or compromising to your physical/mental health to make such a dramatic change so quickly, supporting vegan businesses by purchasing food from them, promoting them and buying their merch is a great way to help the vegan movement grow.
17. Sign these petitions to end China’s dog meat festival.
18. Donate a “kuranda bed” to your local animal shelter.
19. Share “spay and neutering” resources online.
ECONOMIC OPPRESSION/POVERTY CRIME/GOVERNMENT CORRUPTION
The three evils listed above are among the many reasons why any sane person would leave a country as breathtakingly beautiful as Honduras. According to official government figures 3,996 homicides were recorded in 2019. Transgender people are treated as if they aren’t human. Misogyny and femicide ARE THE NORM. Hard working people hand over significant portions of their meager wages/possessions to gang members or face brutally violent repercussions that often end in homicide. The country’s various indigenous groups and other ethnic groups are often locked in land disputes with drug traffickers, the tourism industry and the like who subject them to violent kidnappings and murder. Those who are lucky to make it to the United States risk being locked up like animals in small overcrowded “detention centers” to live in conditions that deprive them of their most basic human rights. The human rights groups I mention below are all working hard to help Honduran immigrants in need as well as immigrants from around the world that face similar circumstances.
20. Donate to Border Angels. They are a non profit group founded in 1986. Every week they send volunteers in t the dessert to drop off water for migrants crossing the US MExico border by foot. They also lead “caravans of love” to migrant shelters, run a day labor outreach program agreen card for kids program, a shelter program, a bond program to reunite families that have been separated by our broken immigration system and so much more.
21. Donate to Immigrant Defenders Law Center. They are a non profit organization that provides legal counsel for immigrant communities against systemic injustices in the legal system.
22. Sign this petition that demands ICE detainees stop being sprayed with a very toxic and very dangerous germicidal detergent called HDQ Neutral 100.
23. Sign this petition that demands New York and New Jersey release all detainees from ICE detention centers and effectively shut them down.
24. Make a women’s comfort kit and mail it to this address.
Minority Humanitarian Foundation
1618 San Miguel Ave
Spring Valley, California
It was provided by @guerojusticiero who works closely with the Minority Humanitarian Foundation to reunite immigrant families as well as provide immigrants with precious life saving resources. See image below to see what you can add to the kit.
MODERN SLAVERY/HUMAN TRAFFICKING
According to antislavery.org, human trafficking is described as “the process of trapping people through the use of violence, deception or coercion and exploiting them for financial or personal gain”.
25. Watch this documentary by The Guardian that details how human traffickers prey on incarcerated women in order to force them in to a life of addiction and prostitution once they are released.
26. If you believe you may have witnessed human trafficking report it! This link explains how you can do that. It also gives options on how to report anonymously.
27. Knowledge is POWER. Arm yourself with information. Sign up to receive google alerts on the most recent human trafficking news.
28. Be mindful about who you give your money to. Many goods we produce were produced by forced or child labor. Here is a list from the US Department of Labor of goods that have been produced by modern slaves. Avoid them at all costs.
29. Zephi Trevino, a 16 year old Latina victim of human trafficking is being charged for the murder of a john by the hands of her trafficker. This young woman has suffered enough and for no good reason. She deserves to be free and have normal teenage experiences. Please sign the petition demanding justice and donate to her legal defense fund.
If you have made it this far thank you for reading! If you have anything to add to the list please share your two cents in the comments section. I want to keep adding to the list.
Follow us on Instagram @KARMICVINTAGE
Like our Facebook Page KARMIC VINTAGE ON FACEBOOK